Minstrel

Minstrel

Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Joys (HA!) of Editing

I know, I've been gone again, but I'm back know.  I'm even almost sane.  I have been working on the second proof copy of Molly and the Vampire, A Sensible Woman Learns About Love, Lust, & Things That Go Bump in the Night.  I really am bad at titles.

On the first page I missed a period.  It went down hill from there.  If the next proof isn't perfect I will have to give up and forget the whole thing!

Only kidding, I am way too stubborn to give up; but I just might be forced into a symbolic burning of the book.  It wouldn't help; but it would feel fabulous!

This time around I ordered 4 copies and gave one to each of three volunteers along with pens, highlighters, and a pad of sticky notes.

My first victim read three chapters and told me she was surprised at how well it was written; But it just wasn't her kind of story and she "couldn't get into it".

The second reader realllly like chapter one, but that was more than a week ago and I haven't heard another thing.

The third left on vacation yesterday and said she was taking it on the plain with her.

I also put another sample on Creatspace and asked if it was at all amusing.  I got one NO!  One person who liked one line, and one woman said that she found it funny and thought it very witty.

And I wanted to write this book why?  What's even harder for me to figure out is why I still want to write another.  That one is well under way, oh, and I have ideas for numbers three and four.  Yeah, I have officially lost what little was left of my mind.

I get this way when I'm painting as well.  There is always a point when whatever I'm working on is a disaster and it is never going to work.  It's usually right before I find that the whole thing is falling into place and I'm going to finish without screaming and throwing heavy objects around the room.

I am actually only 120 pages from finishing up the edit of Molly.  Most of the mistakes I'm finding are little bitty things like an extra period, an oddly miss typed word, not spelled wrong but showing up with a 9 in the middle.  I swear, I do not know how I managed that one.  And no, spell check didn't catch it either.

Now I'm trying to learn how to put together a web site.  If I would just settle for one of the premade ones that you just insert your own text into everything would be fine.  It would be finished.  It would be up and running.  But NOOOO.  That would be too easy.  That would make sense.  I have to design the whole thing from scratch.

Now the program I'm using insists that it is all very simple and all I have to do is follow their very clear instructions and I will be blissfully happy in no time at all.  They lied!  I'm certain that many or even most people would have no trouble at all.  Sadly; I am not most people and I'm doing everything wrong.  I must be; things keep disappearing on me.

Another thing, the company, Serif is located in England and they call me to "check on how I like the software" and of course try to sell me another program.  Last time the call came when I was sick with some kind of cold/virus thingy and in my weakened state I ended up with another program.  It wasn't all the fault of my illness.  It was his accent that did me in.  I couldn't understand half of what he was saying, but it was just so darn cute. 

The programs are actually great and if I ever figure out how to use them, I will be very happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment